The Ontario Library Association is seeking an interim editor-in-chief for Open Shelf. This position is responsible for stewarding the vision of the magazine, coordinating the efforts of the editorial team and overseeing the smooth operation and timely publication of the magazine.
Open Shelf is the online magazine of the Ontario Library Association. It is a dynamic, multimedia publication with diverse content and broad popular appeal. Articles covering topics of interest to various library sectors (academic, school, public) are published on a monthly basis (except for August and January).
The Ontario Library Association is seeking an interim editor-in-chief for Open Shelf.
The editor-in-chief receives a $1,000 annual honorarium. This is a one-year volunteer term with the possibility of renewal.
The editor-in-chief works with a deputy editor and an editorial team. This position is responsible for stewarding the vision of the magazine, coordinating the efforts of the editorial team and overseeing the smooth operation and timely publication of the magazine each month. The editor responds to inquiries from authors, works with the OLA Office regarding production and branding details, troubleshoots, edits and proofreads, and fact checks submitted articles. The editor-in-chief also writes editorials on issues of personal interest.
The position requires a time commitment of approximately 15 hours per issue, with peak times occurring at both the start and end of each month, around the submission deadlines and closer to the final production stages. Issues are published 10 times per year with no issue in August and January.
- General knowledge of the editorial process (copy editing, online writing, fact checking). Writing and editing experience is an asset.
- Working knowledge of creating and publishing WordPress content; experience with e-magazines/publishing on the web.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills. The ability to coordinate, manage and work with deadlines.
- Ability/willingness to proactively solicit articles and recruit contributors (e.g., new columnists and feature writers).
- Ability to work cooperatively with the editorial board and with the OLA Office.
- Good perspective on issues across all sectors of the library community. Strong networking skills and the ability to generate leads on current and relevant issues.
- The ability to lead an editorial board and writers with enthusiasm, energy and vision.
- Must be a current member of OLA.
Interested? More information about the operations of Open Shelf can be found here:
Please send your CV as it pertains to this opportunity, with links to samples of editing/writing, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.