Open Shelf is proud to be launching a new bi-monthly feature on consumer health resources about select topics. Stay tuned to learn about consumer health websites, print or e-books and other relevant resources.
Douglas Davey is our cryptic crossword creator and puzzler extraordinaire. This month, the column “returns to its roots” with a beach-themed cryptic crossword. These crossword puzzles challenge you with obscure clues that are puzzles in and of themselves! If you need a refresher on the way cryptic crosswords work, check the guide we’ve linked below.
As always, follow the link above the puzzle for a printable version and the link below it for the answers.
Whether it’s vacationing in luxury on a tropical shore, or hauling a carload of clamorous kids to the local swimming hole, a day at the beach is a staple of sunny days. The July puzzle is a sand and surf themed cryptic crossword. Just try to keep the ants out of the potato salad.
1. Tactical point “On The Waterfront” making HR tale to relax with (5, 4)
5. Capped Nut Company located within a rich neighbourhood, initially (5)
6. Gossip turning catch around (3
8. Totes has the sound of naps, axe (9)
10. Bikini piece to power (3)
12. KO count boxed by the greatest dip in the Mediterranean (5)
13. Melted sundae gives you all you need to create windswept landforms (4,5)
1. Alien being follows unfilled picnic must-have (7)
2. “Hola!” a crazy greeting in Hilo (5)
3. Gymnastic feat… hot and… stone and… (9)
4. Ovum goad (3)
7. Pals join, embraced by the object of Porgy’s affection (7)
9. Comedian down in Canadian railway (5)
11. Upright rest skillet (3)
Douglas Davey has been a professional librarian for over 20 years and is currently the Manager, Library Services at Whitchurch-Stouffville Hills Public Library. Currently, he is the Vice President of the Ontario Public Library Association and the OPLA Children’s or Youth Librarian of the Year. He is also an author of fiction for teens, and a total nerd for horror, fantasy and sci-fi. He lives in Guelph with his family.