In 2016, mayhem was unleashed when the Ontario Library Association (OLA) departed from the Canadian Federation of Library Associations (CFLA). The assumption was that the OLA would depart from the CFLA in an orderly and a swift fashion. That assumption was wrong.
Libraries Ontario Limited (LOL) invites papers and panel proposals for the 2016 symposium. This year’s symposium will be held on April 1, 2016.
The symposium theme is:
Through the Looking Glass: Librarians Watching Themselves Through the Eyes of Other Librarians Reflected Through the Lens of the User: Intimations of Library Work, Life, and Play in the 21st Century
The keynote speaker will be renowned tango instructor Dr. Alexander Vargas who integrates the tango into all sorts of unusual and irrelevant places and spaces. Dr. Vargas will provide practical tips on equipping makerspaces with tango floors to enhance the user experience and contribute to work-life balance.
He will be sure to mention how an early childhood encounter with a library made him a lifelong admirer of libraries from afar.
Proposals that bring multiple perspectives on initiating, promoting, managing, enhancing, deflecting, agonizing over, debating, challenging, questioning, or yearning for meaning are especially welcome; joint proposals that address research, theory, practice, or the research of theory or the practice of research, or the history of practice in a research-centred praxis context will receive the highest consideration.
Topics might include:
- Moving furniture around the library to create innovative new space
- Innovative programming
- Synergistic Discovery systems
- Disrupting Open Access initiatives
- Innovative funding models
- Innovative marketing
- The Revenant
- Type of proposal (panel, workshop, presentation, Pecha Kucha, intimidating hands-on activity)
- Abstract (should not be longer than the actual presentation, please!)
- Name/s and brief biographical information on presenter/s including a charming quirky personal fact related to cats and/or love of cooking or gardening
Questions and proposals should be sent to: rbergart [at] uoguelph.ca.
April Foolish is the CEO at the Erehwon Public Library.
For more articles from the Special Issue of Open Shelf see the Table of Contents.