Dear Santa, We’re the Open Shelf editorial team. Our favourite things to do are to engage with our friends in the OLA community. We write, we provide feedback, we get creative with pictures and tweets, we play tag all the time, and just basically have lots of fun. We’ll be snuggled at home during the holiday season, hopefully taking a break from work but still dreaming of new stories we can tell in Open Shelf in 2021. Although this has been a crazy year—the “Year of COVID”—we’ve still been able to play with our Open Shelf contributors and they have sent us lots of great stories to print in the magazine.
Music credit: Sean Bufton
Our last issue of Open Shelf for 2018 … and it’s a time to hear from new(er) as well as more familiar voices:
- Readers’ advisory, Open for all? and the Library IT Crowd
- Our colleagues on the OLA Cultural Diversity and Inclusion Task Force
- Rudi Denham, who is doing a limited series column called What is a library?
- Caroline Goulding, one of our northern colleagues
- And last, but not least, the InsideOCULA team
As we welcome new contributors and editors, we also say goodbye to Graeme Campbell, who is finishing his term as the editor-in-chief for InsideOCULA. Graeme is passing the torch to Rob Makinson and Jennifer Robinson and we look forward to working with them. At the same time, we will miss working with Graeme who brings an eagle eye to detail and a thoughtful approach to editorial decision making from which we have greatly benefited. Thank you, Graeme.
- From the editor: Unpacking harm and offence
- The holidays in small libraries
- Dinner for one (Thomas Guignard)
- Due North (Caroline Goulding)
- What is a library? (Rudi Denham)
- Readers’ advisory (Reagan Kapasi)
- Open for all? (John Pateman)
- culture@work (OLA Cultural Diversity and Inclusion Task Force)
- The IT Crowd (Monica Socol and Sarah Macintyre)
- Super Conference: Open Shelf hack-a-thon
- For-credit IL courses: Do you teach one?
Plus, please take our poll: Tell us which movie is at the top of your list for enjoying a winter’s day (or night).
However you celebrate this time of year, we hope that you have many joyful celebrations with family and friends. And please, join us back here in 2019.
Martha Attridge Bufton, Editor-in-Chief
Nikolina Likarevic, Deputy Editor
Rashed Ahmad, Digital Editor
Devon O’Leary, Digital Copy Editor
Kelly Thompson, Digital Editor