The team at Open Shelf has returned after our end-of-summer break reinvigorated. We enjoyed our “time off,” but are just as excited to meet the challenges and joys of the autumnal season.
Climate change, parliamentary change, changing career directions … important social and individual shifts seem to be a key theme for this issue of Open Shelf.
We welcome back contributors like Jennifer Dekker (who writes our High 5 column) and new contributors such as Chris Cluff (an Ontario-based podcaster) to keep up with current stories (climate change and the federal election) as well as perennial issues such as where our library knowledge and skills will take us in our careers.
We’ve also got a conversation with Wayne Jones and his co-author Matt Balaker on their new book, an overview of the Canadian Federation of Library Associations-Fédération canadienne des associations de bibliothèques from Todd Kyle, articles from OCULA contributors re the OCULA spring conference and new resources from the Accessible Content ePortal and a story from Deanna Nebenionquit about recently launched online resources from Ontario Library Service – North.
Plus, “calls to action” and our regular poll. This month, we’re asking you:
- Do we have an immediate climate crisis?
- What are you doing about it? I am (#1 priority):
- Driving less
- Changing my diet to include fewer animal products
- Thinking about population control
- Flying less
- Joining protest demonstrations
Here are our stories for this month, in the order in which they appear:
Yesterday, a book fell on my head. Well, I only have my shelf to blame.
- Change or else: Rallying for action on the world’s climate crisis
- High five: Information warfare
- It’s our vote: The 2019 federal election
- A writers’ story: Collaborating long-distance on a bio of Greg Giraldo
- Accessible Content ePortal launches companion staff portal and public website
- A road less travelled: A conversation with Margaret J. Tarpley
- Ontario Library Service – North launches two new First Nation websites
- Taking stock: CFLA-FCAB at four years
- Bridge between: The 2019 OCULA Spring Conference
- Chasing squirrels: Reflective practice and intentional noticing in the LLC
- Call for OLA councillors
- Call for Open Shelf story editor